top of page
  • Writer's pictureValinda

Is Organic Cotton Really Sustainable? Separating Fact from Fiction

Updated: May 26

Cotton crops cover 2.4% of the world’s cultivated land but use 6% of the world’s pesticides, more than any other single major crop. And almost all of the cotton produced worldwide is regular cotton. Only 1% of all cotton produced is organic while the remaining 99% is poisoning water supplies, wasting resources, and harming farmers and their employees.

What is organic cotton?

For a fabric to be certified as organic, there are a lot of steps involved which start even before a cotton seed is planted. As you might have guessed, organic cotton is grown fro